Every newspaper in the database is fully searchable by keyword and date, making it easy to quickly explore historical content.
Reminder: you must have a Green Free Library card to use the Archives. The Archives is still a FREE SERVICE FOR OUR PATRONS!
Please contact the staff if you are having issues or need a card.
Tips for using the Archives:
1. Go to Newspaper Archives under Highlighted Links on our homepage OR click the Resources tab and then Genealogy tab. The Archives is the first link on the page.
2. Sign into the Archives with your library barcode, starting with the GFL before the numbers.
3. Then sign in with your account under User Login at top right or create a free account. You will need an email and create a password to access your account.
4. Once you are signed in, search by location, date, publications, or search through hundreds of newspapers, mostly historic and not current subscriptions, from across Pennsylvania and New York.
5. If searching only for Wellsboro newspapers, narrow search by Browse Location and put in Wellsboro, PA, US. You will be shown a list of newspapers relating to Wellsboro. Or, click the Publications tab at the top to see all the available newspapers. You can narrow your search by typing the location in the box on the right-hand side of the page.
Free Ancestry Library Edition for Users in Our Library
Ancestry Library Edition, the largest online family history resource available, provides unprecedented access to family history via documents that record the lineage of individuals from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, and more.
Powered by Ancestry.com, it brings the world’s most popular consumer online family history resource to our library.
Answers await all our users—professional or hobbyist, expert or novice, genealogist or historian—inside the thousands of databases of family information. User-friendly search tools and comprehensive indexing make it easy to start discovering personal histories.